About Code Verify
Code Verify adds an extra layer of security to end-to-end encryption when people use WhatsApp on the web.
When you download the Code Verify web browser extension from the official Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge browser extension stores, it automatically checks whether you’re using an authentic and untampered version of WhatsApp Web so you can be confident that your messages are between you and your intended recipients, and nobody else. If the extension detects that the code you're using to run WhatsApp Web is not the same as the code that everyone else is using, the extension notifies you so that you can take action.
How to use Code Verify
For the best user experience, ensure the Code Verify browser extension is pinned to your toolbar once downloaded so that you can easily see the extension and its status. Code Verify will then run automatically when you use WhatsApp Web (web.whatsapp.com). When the extension is pinned to your toolbar and the code for WhatsApp Web is fully validated, the extension will show a checkmark in a green circle on the toolbar to show that the code has been fully validated.
If the extension is unable to validate the code you’re being served, you will see one of these three messages:
- Network Timed Out: If your page can't be validated because your network has timed out, your Code Verify extension will display an orange circle with a question mark.
- Possible Risk Detected: If one or more of your extensions is interfering with our ability to verify the page, your Code Verify extension will display an orange circle with a question mark.
- Validation Failure: If the extension detects that the code you're using to run WhatsApp Web is not the same as the code everyone else is using, the Code Verify icon will turn red and show an exclamation mark.
If you click on the Code Verify extension icon in your toolbar when it is green, orange, or red, you will be able to see more information, and if there is an issue, you can Learn More about how you can solve it. You will also be able to download the source code if you want to investigate the issue further.Note:
- The Code Verify browser extension simply confirms the underlying code on WhatsApp Web is the same as the code that everyone else is using. The extension won’t read or access the messages you send or receive, and we won’t know if you have downloaded the extension.
- The performance of the Code Verify browser extension might depend on pausing or disabling other browser extensions you’re using.
- The Code Verify browser extension verifies code for WhatsApp Web and doesn't impact WhatsApp Desktop.
- The extension doesn’t log any data, metadata, or user data, and it doesn’t share any information with WhatsApp. It also doesn’t read or access the messages you send or receive.