Message history is removed from the BlackBerry's internal memory after restarting your phone. If your chat history is not saved to a media card (SD card), it will be completely erased after restarting your phone. This is how the BlackBerry system is designed.
- Check your chat history settings.
- Check for problems on your media card.
- Attempt to recover your chat history.
Check your chat history settings
First, check that you have a media card in your BlackBerry (see this article for more information), then check your settings inside of WhatsApp to make sure they are correct:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Go to Media Settings.
- Make sure that Message History is set to Media Card.
Check for problems on your media card
If your Message History is already set to Media Card but your chats are still missing, there is likely a conflict between your media card and WhatsApp. To fix this, we recommend these steps:
- Make sure your media card is not full. You can check this in BlackBerry Media folder > button > Memory Use.
- Make sure your media card card is not set to read only (if you can save and edit files on your media card, it is not read only).
- Remove and reinsert your media card.
- Go to BlackBerry Options > Device > Storage, press the button, and then select Repair.
Attempt to recover your chat history
You may be able to recover some of your chat history on your SD card by restoring an older chat backup:
- Delete WhatsApp, then reboot your phone by removing the battery.
- After your phone restarts, open your BlackBerry Media folder.
- Press the button and choose Explore.
- Go to Media Card > databases > WhatsApp and find the file called messagestore.db.
- Rename that file to "123messagestore.db". This will prompt WhatsApp to restore the next most recent chat history that was saved. A new chat history backup is created every day.
- Reinstall WhatsApp.
We also recommend that you periodically export your chat history if you wish to have a copy of your important conversations outside of WhatsApp.
Note: It is not possible to restore chat history from another phone or from any exported chats.
Learn how to restore messages on: Android | iPhone | Windows Phone | BlackBerry 10