Currently, the two possible ways to transfer your chat history from your old BlackBerry 10 smartphone to the new one are:
- BlackBerry Link (Recommended)
- Manual Transfer
Note: You cannot restore chat history from any other phone type to a BlackBerry 10 smartphone, or from a BlackBerry 10 smartphone to another phone type.
The recommended approach to transfer your backup files for your chat history is to use BlackBerry Link as follows:
- Download BlackBerry Link from here on your PC or your Mac.
- Read the BlackBerry Link user guide about the backup and restore process here.
- Back up your old device using BlackBerry Link.
- Restore the backups of the old device into the new device using Blackberry Link.
Another approach to transfer the backup files for your chat history manually is as follows:
- Back up your chats on your old phone. Go to WhatsApp > Application Menu > Settings > Media settings > Backup conversations.
- To transfer your backup file from your old phone onto a media card or any other storage available (Cloud Storage for example), you will need to use the File Manager on your phone. Copy the backup folder on the path
misc/whatsapp/backup folder from your old phone to the storage media.
- Transfer the backup file from the storage media onto the new device.
- Once you have safely transferred your backup, you can install WhatsApp on your new BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
- Click Restore when prompted to restore your message history. Once restored, your old chats will reappear on your new smartphone.