How to make a group voice call
Group calling allows up to 32 participants to voice call with each other using WhatsApp for free. Voice calling uses your phone’s internet connection rather than your mobile plan’s minutes. Data charges may apply. When you receive a group voice call, the incoming WhatsApp Audio... screen will show the participants currently on the call, and the first contact listed will be the participant that added you. Group voice call history will appear in the Calls tab. You can tap the call history to view the individual participants from the call. You can also join missed calls if they’re still ongoing.
Make a group voice call
Make a group voice call from a group chat
- Open the group chat you want to voice call.
- If your group chat has 33 or more participants, tap Group Call.
- If your group chat has 32 or fewer participants, tap Voice Call and confirm your decision. The first seven people who answer can join the call, and only group members can participate.
Make a group voice call from the Calls tab
- Open WhatsApp, then tap the Calls tab.
- Tap New Call > New Group Call.
- Find the contacts you want to add to the call, then tap Voice Call.
Make a group voice call from an individual chat
- Open the individual chat with one of the contacts you want to voice call.
- Tap Voice Call.
- Once the contact accepts the call, tap Open > Add Participant.
- Find another contact you want to add to the call, then tap Add.
- Tap Add Participant if you want to add more contacts.
Join a group voice call
Join an incoming group voice call
- You’ll receive a notification when someone invites you to join a group voice call.
- Tap the notification to open the call details screen.
- From this screen, you can preview the call participants and other invitees.
- Tap Join to join the call.
- While on the call, tap Open open the call info screen.
- Tap Add Participant to add more contacts to the call.
- Tap Ring to send a notification to people who’ve already been invited.
Join a missed group voice call
- Open WhatsApp, then tap the CALLS tab.
- If the call was started from a group chat, you can join by opening that chat and tapping Join.
- If the call is ongoing, tap the call you’d like to join. This will open the call info screen.
- Tap Join.
- Make sure you and your contacts have strong internet connections when placing or receiving group voice calls. The quality of the voice call will depend on the contact with the weakest connection.
- During a group voice call, you won't be able to switch the call to a video call.
- You can't remove a contact during a group voice call. The contact would need to hang up their phone to disconnect from the call.
- While it's possible to be in a group voice call with someone you've blocked, you can't add a contact that you've blocked to the call or a contact that has blocked you.
- Voice calling is available on iPhones running iOS 12 or newer.
- You can’t access emergency service numbers through WhatsApp such as 911 in the United States. To make emergency calls, you must make alternative communication arrangements.