How to make a group video call
Group calling allows up to eight participants to video call each other using WhatsApp. When you receive a group video call, the Incoming group video call notification or WhatsApp group video call screen will show the participants currently on the call, and the first contact listed will be the participant that added you. You can also join missed calls if they’re still ongoing.
Make a group video call
Make a group video call from a group chat
- Open the WhatsApp group chat you want to video call.
- If your group chat has 33 or more participants, tap Group Call.
- If your group chat has 32 or fewer participants, tap Video Call and confirm your decision. The first seven people who answer can join the call, and only group members can participate.
Make a group video call from the Calls tab
- Open WhatsApp, then tap the Calls tab.
- Tap New Call > New Group Call.
- Find the contacts you want to add to the call, then tap Video Call.
Make a group video call from an individual chat
- Open the WhatsApp chat with one of the contacts you want to video call.
- Tap Video Call.
- Once the contact accepts the call, tap Open > Add Participant.
- Find another contact you want to add to the call, then tap Add.
- Tap Add Participant if you want to add more contacts.
Join a group video call
Join an incoming group video call
- You’ll receive a notification when someone invites you to join a group video call.
- Tap the notification to open the call info screen.
- From this screen, you can preview the call participants and other invitees.
- Tap Join to join the call.
- While on the call, tap Open open the call info screen.
- Tap Add Participant to add more contacts to the call.
- Tap Ring to send a notification to people who’ve already been invited.
Join a missed group video call
- Open WhatsApp, then tap the CALLS tab.
- If the call was started from a group chat, you can join by opening that chat and tapping Join.
- If the call is ongoing, tap the call you’d like to join. This will open the call info screen.
- Tap Join.
- Only eight participants can be active on a call at one time.
- Make sure you and your contacts have strong internet connections when placing or receiving group video calls. The quality of the video call will depend on the contact with the weakest connection.
- During a group video call, you have the option to turn your video off by tapping Video Off.
- You can't remove a contact during a group video call. The contact would need to hang up their phone to disconnect from the call.
- While it's possible to be in a group video call with someone you've blocked, you can't add a contact that you've blocked to the call or a contact that has blocked you.