How to check read receipts
Check marks are displayed next to each message you send. Here’s what each one indicates:
- The message was successfully sent.
- The message was successfully delivered to the recipient's phone.
- The recipient has read your message.
In a group chat, the second check mark will appear when all participants in the group have received your message. Two blue check marks will appear when all participants in the group have read your message.
For any message that you send, you’ll be able to see a message info screen, displaying the details of when your message was delivered, read, or played by the recipient.
To see the message info screen:
- Open an individual or group chat.
- Swipe the message from right to left.
- Alternatively, tap and hold your sent message and choose Info from the menu.
The Message Info screen shows:
- Your message has been delivered to your recipient's phone, but the recipient hasn’t seen it.
Read or Seen:
- The recipient has read your message or seen your picture, audio file, or video.
- The recipient has seen your voice message, but hasn’t played it.
- The recipient has played your voice message.
Note: When a participant leaves a group, the message info screen will still show the original information with all participants, including the participant who left the group.
Missing read receipts
If you don't see two blue check marks, a blue microphone, or an “Opened” label next to your sent message or voice message:
- You or your recipient might have disabled read receipts in the privacy settings.
- The recipient might have blocked you.
- The recipient's phone might be off.
- The recipient might not have opened your conversation.
- You or the recipient might be experiencing connection issues.
Turn off read receipts
To turn off your read receipts, go to Settings > Account > Privacy and disable Read Receipts.
Note: This won't disable the read receipts for group chats or play receipts for voice messages. There's no way to turn those settings off.