How to change your phone number
The change number feature allows you to change the phone number associated with your WhatsApp account on the same or a new phone. Before changing your phone number:
- Make sure your new phone number can receive SMS or phone calls and has an active cellular connection.
- Make sure your old phone number is currently registered on WhatsApp on your phone. You can find your registered phone number by opening WhatsApp Settings and tapping your profile photo.
Change phone number on the same phone
Insert the SIM card with the new phone number into your phone. Then follow the steps below.
- Open WhatsApp Settings.
- Tap Account > Change Number > Next.
- Enter your old phone number in the first field and your new phone number in the second field, both in full international format.
- Tap Next.
- If you turn on Notify Contacts, you can choose if you want to notify All contacts, Contacts I have chats with or Custom... If you select Custom..., you'll need to search for or select the contacts you want to notify, then tap Done.
- Your group chats are automatically notified when you change your phone number, regardless of whether you choose to notify your contacts.
- Tap Done.
- You'll then be prompted to register your new phone number. Learn more in this article.
Change phone number on a new phone
To transfer your chat history, you’ll need to create an iCloud or computer backup on your old phone. Learn how to do in this article. If you don’t create an iCloud or computer backup, you’ll need to visit the Apple Support website for more information on how to restore your backup.
After changing your phone number on your old phone, follow the steps below using your new phone:
- Install WhatsApp.
- Register your new phone number again.
- Restore your backup.