About multi-device beta
The multi-device beta is an opt-in program that gives you early access to try a new version of WhatsApp for Web, Desktop, and Portal. If you join the multi-device beta, you'll be able to use linked companion devices without the need to keep your phone connected. Your personal messages, media, and calls are end-to-end encrypted. Learn more about end-to-end encryption in this article.
- You can use WhatsApp on up to four companion devices at one time, but can only have one phone connected to your WhatsApp account at one time.
- You’ll still need to register your WhatsApp account and link new devices with your phone.
- If you don’t use your phone for over 14 days, your linked devices will become disconnected.
The multi-device beta is currently available to eligible:
- WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business app beta users using the latest version of WhatsApp beta on Android and iPhone.
- WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business app users in limited countries. The multi-device beta will be rolling out worldwide.
Learn how to join the multi-device beta in this article.
These features aren't currently supported in this version of multi-device beta:
- Viewing live location on companion devices.
- Pinning chats on WhatsApp Web or Desktop.
- Joining, viewing, and resetting group invites from WhatsApp Web and Desktop. You’ll need to use your phone instead.
- Messaging or calling someone who is using a very old version of WhatsApp on their phone won't work from your linked device.
- Calling from Portal or WhatsApp Desktop to linked devices that aren’t enrolled in the multi-device beta.
- Other WhatsApp accounts on your Portal won't work unless those accounts have joined the multi-device beta.
- WhatsApp Business users can’t edit their business name or labels from WhatsApp Web or Desktop.
We’re interested in your feedback. If you’d like to share your experience of using the multi-device beta, please follow this link where you can learn about participating in a research discussion.