The Change Number feature allows you to change the phone number associated with your WhatsApp account on your same phone. This feature is intended to be used before you verify your new number.
Using the Change Number feature in WhatsApp will:
- Migrate your account information (including your profile information), groups and settings from your old phone number to your new phone number; and
- Delete the account associated with your old phone number, so your contacts can no longer see your old phone number in their lists of WhatsApp contacts.
If you use our Change Number feature, your chat history will continue to be available on your phone with the new phone number as long as you continue using the same phone.
Before beginning the Change Number process
- Make sure your new phone number can receive SMS or calls and has an active data connection.
- Make sure your old phone number is currently verified in WhatsApp on your phone. You can see what number is verified in WhatsApp by navigating to WhatsApp > Settings and tapping on your profile photo.
Changing your phone number
To change your phone number within WhatsApp, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Account > Change Number.
- Enter your current WhatsApp phone number in the first box.
- Enter your new phone number in the second box.
- Tap Next.
- If you turn on Notify Contacts, you can choose if you want to notify All contacts, Contacts I have chats with, or Custom.
- If you select Custom, you'll need to search for or select the contacts you want to notify > tap the check mark or Done.
- Tap Done to continue.
Please make sure your WhatsApp contacts have your new phone number saved in their phone’s address books to ensure a seamless messaging experience.