If you are getting both a new Windows Phone and a new phone number, use our Change Number feature before you back up and transfer your chat history to the new phone.
You either need a OneDrive backup or an SD card to transfer your chat history from your old Windows Phone to the new one. Unfortunately, at this time it is not possible to transfer your chat history to an Android or iPhone.
Transfer your chats from OneDrive:
- Make sure the same Live ID account that was used to perform the backup has been added to your phone.
- Make sure you have an updated version of OneDrive App installed.
- Install WhatsApp from the Microsoft Store and verify your number.
- After verifying your number, you will be prompted to restore your messages and media from OneDrive.
- After the restoration process is complete, tap on Next and your chats will be displayed once initialization is complete.
- After restoring your chats, WhatsApp will begin restoring your media files.
Transfer your chats from SD card:
- Make sure your phone has an SD card slot and you have made a backup on your SD card. Learn how to back up your chat history in this FAQ article.
- Remove the SD card from your old Windows Phone and insert it into your new Windows Phone.
- After inserting the SD card to your new phone, install WhatsApp from the Microsoft Store and verify your number.
- WhatsApp will ask you to restore your chats and media from a backup when you verify your number. Simply tap "Restore" when prompted to do so.
Note: Transferring your chat history can take a while to complete, depending on your Internet connection and back up size. Make sure you are connected to a strong and stable Wi-Fi connection. Please leave your phone connected to a power source until the back up completes.
You can also email your chat history to keep a record of your chats. Learn how to email your chat history in this FAQ article.