Your WhatsApp messages are automatically backed up every day at 3 am and saved to your phone's memory and/or on your SD card depending on your settings. You can also periodically back up your WhatsApp chats to OneDrive. If you uninstall WhatsApp from your phone, but don't want to lose any of your messages, be sure to manually back up or export your chats before uninstalling.
You can back up your chats and media to OneDrive, so if you get a new Windows Phone your chats and media are transferrable.
- The OneDrive backup process can take a while to complete, depending on your Internet connection and backup size.
- Make sure you are connected to a strong and stable Wi-Fi connection.
- Leave your phone connected to a power source until the backup completes.
- Every time you run a OneDrive backup, the previous OneDrive backup will be overwritten. There is no way to restore an older OneDrive backup.
To restore your chat history from a OneDrive backup, first verify that a OneDrive backup exists by going to WhatsApp > More > Settings > Chats and calls > Backup.
If you can see the last backup time, then delete and reinstall WhatsApp from the Microsoft Store. WhatsApp will ask you to restore your chats and media from a backup when you verify your number. Simply tap "Restore" when prompted to do so.
To do a manual back up of your WhatsApp chats on your phone/SD card, go to WhatsApp > More > settings > chats and calls > backup.
Depending on your settings, your media backups are located on your phone or on the SD card if you have one. You can check your storage settings by going to Settings > System > Storage sense (Storage on Windows 10 Mobile).
On SD cards, the backup file is located in:
SD card\WhatsApp\WinPhoneBackup folder. To access this folder, you need to have a file manager installed on your phone. You cannot open these files outside the WhatsApp application.
If you are unable to create a OneDrive backup or WhatsApp does not detect a backup, please check the following:
- The easiest way to transfer data to a new phone is using OneDrive. If you want to use a local backup, you will need to transfer the files to the new phone using a SD Card.
- If you have a local backup that's newer than your OneDrive backup (or created around the same time), then WhatsApp will restore from the local backup.
If you are unable to back up your chats to your phone's internal memory/SD card or WhatsApp does not detect a backup, please check the following:
If you would like to learn more about transferring your chat history to a new Windows Phone, please read this FAQ.