In the unfortunate case that your phone becomes lost or stolen, we can help make sure that no one can use your WhatsApp account.
What to do
Lock your SIM card. You should call your mobile provider as soon as possible to lock your SIM card. It will then not be possible to verify the account on that phone again, as you must be able to receive SMS or phone calls to verify an account.
At this point, you have two choices:
Use a new SIM card with the same number to activate WhatsApp on your new phone. This is the fastest way to deactivate your account on the stolen phone. WhatsApp can only be activated with one phone number on one device at a time.
Email us the phrase "Lost/Stolen: Please deactivate my account" in the body of the email and include your phone number in full international format as described here.
- Even with the SIM card locked and phone service disabled, WhatsApp can be used on Wi-Fi if you do not contact us with an account deactivation request.
- We are not able to help you locate your phone. Remote WhatsApp deactivation from another device is not possible.
- If you created a backup using Google Drive, iCloud or OneDrive before your phone went missing, you might be able to restore your chat history. Learn how to restore messages on: Android | iPhone | Windows Phone.
What happens when an account is deactivated
- The account is not completely deleted.
- Your contacts can still see your profile.
- Your contacts can send you messages, which will remain in a pending state for up to 30 days.
- If you reactivate your account before it is deleted, you will receive any pending messages on your new phone and you will still be in all of your group chats.
- If you don't activate your account within 30 days, it will be completely deleted.