If you wish to use your old WhatsApp account on a new phone and with a new phone number, you can use our Change Number feature.
There are two basic requirements to successfully use the Change Number feature:
- You must be able to receive SMS and/or calls on your new phone number and the new phone must be connected to the Internet.
- You must still have access to your old WhatsApp account. On your old phone, please double check that your old phone number is still linked to your account by navigating to WhatsApp > tap More options > Settings and tapping on your profile photo.
Changing your phone number
Start the process by using the Change Number feature on your old phone, then complete it by reinstalling WhatsApp on your new phone.
On the old phone:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Tap More options > Settings > Account > Change number.
- Enter the old number (the one currently linked to your WhatsApp account) in the old phone number field.
- Enter the number you wish to use going forward in the new phone number field.
- Verify the new phone number by entering the verification code that you'll receive on the new phone.
- If you also wish to transfer your chat history, create a backup by going to WhatsApp > tap More options > Settings > Chats > Chat backup > Back Up (we suggest enabling Google Drive backup).
On the new phone:
- If you didn't back up your chat history to Google Drive, manually transfer your backup.
- Install WhatsApp.
- Verify your new phone number again.
- Restore your backup.
After changing your number
Ask your contacts to save your new phone number in their phone’s address books to ensure a seamless messaging experience.
Using the Change Number feature will:
- Migrate your account information (including your profile information), groups and settings from your old phone number to your new phone number.
- Delete the account associated with your old phone number.