Voice Calling lets you call your contacts using WhatsApp for free, even if they’re in another country. Voice calling uses your phone’s Internet connection rather than your cellular plan’s voice minutes. Data charges may apply.
Note: You can’t access 911 and other emergency service numbers through WhatsApp. To make emergency calls, you must make alternative communication arrangements.
Placing a voice call
- Open the chat with the contact you want to voice call.
- Tap Voice call > CALL.
Receiving a voice call
When someone voice calls you, you'll see an incoming WHATSAPP VOICE CALL screen, where you can:
- Swipe up the green phone button to accept the call
- Swipe up to decline
- Swipe up to reply to decline the call with a quick message
Switching between voice and video calls
To switch from a voice call to a video call:
- While on the voice call, tap Video call > SWITCH.
- The contact you're voice calling with will see a request to switch to a video call and can accept or reject the switch.
To switch from a video call to a voice call:
- While on the video call, tap the Turn off camera icon, which will notify the contact you're video calling with.
- Once the contact turns their camera off, the call will be switched to a voice call.
Making a group voice call
Group Calling allows up to four participants to voice call with each other using WhatsApp.
To make a group voice call:
- Open the chat with one of the contacts you want to voice call.
- Tap Voice call > CALL.
- Once the contact accepts the call, tap Add participants .
- Search for or select another contact you want to add to the call.
- Tap ADD.
- Group voice calls support up to a total of four participants.
- Make sure you and your contacts have a strong Internet connection when placing or receiving group voice calls. The quality of the voice call will depend on the contact with the weakest connection.
- When you receive a group voice call, the incoming WHATSAPP VOICE CALL screen will show the participants currently on the call, and the first contact listed will be the participant that added you.
- During a group voice call, you won't be able to switch the call to a video call.
- You can't remove a contact during a group voice call. The contact would need to hang up their phone to disconnect from the call.
- Group voice call history will appear in the CALLS tab. You can tap the call history to view the individual contacts from the call.
- While it's possible to be in a group voice call with someone you've blocked, you can't add a contact to the call that you've blocked or a contact that has blocked you.
Learn how to voice call on: iPhone | Windows Phone