Video Calling allows you to place a video call to anyone using WhatsApp. On Android, video calling is only available on Android 4.1+. If your phone's operating system isn't supported, video calling won't be available to you.
Note: Make sure you have a strong Internet connection when placing or receiving video calls. A poor or improperly configured connection might result in poor video and audio quality. If you're connected to Wi-Fi, your video call quality is dependent on your wireless network signal and network data speed.
Placing a video call
- Open the chat with the contact you want to video call.
- Tap Video call .
Receiving a video call
When someone video calls you, you'll see an incoming WHATSAPP VIDEO CALL screen, where you can:
- Swipe up to accept
- Swipe up to decline
- Swipe up to reply to decline the call with a quick message
Switching between video and voice calls
To switch from a video call to a voice call:
- While on the video call, tap the Turn off camera icon, which will notify the contact you're video calling with.
- Once the contact turns their camera off, the call will be switched to a voice call.
To switch from a voice call to a video call:
- While on the voice call, tap Video call > SWITCH.
- The contact you're voice calling with will see a request to switch to a video call and can accept or reject the switch.
Making a group video call
Group Calling allows up to four participants to video call with each other using WhatsApp.
To make a group video call:
- Open the chat with one of the contacts you want to video call.
- Tap Video call .
- Once the contact accepts the call, tap Add participants .
- Search for or select another contact you want to add to the call. If prompted, tap ADD.
- Group video calls support up to a total of four participants.
- Make sure you and your contacts have a strong Internet connection when placing or receiving group video calls. The quality of the video call will depend on the contact with the weakest connection.
- When you receive a group video call, the incoming WHATSAPP VIDEO CALL screen will show the participants currently on the call, and the first contact listed will be the participant that added you.
- During a group video call, you have the option to turn your camera off by tapping the Turn off camera icon.
- You can't remove a contact during a group video call. The contact would need to hang up their phone to disconnect from the call.
- Group video call history will appear in the CALLS tab. You can tap the call history to view the individual contacts from the call.
- While it's possible to be in a group video call with someone you've blocked, you can't add a contact to the call that you've blocked or a contact that has blocked you.
Learn how to video call on: iPhone | Windows Phone