Notification preferences can be set in two locations: phone settings and WhatsApp settings.
Phone Notification Settings
Navigate to your phone's Settings app > Apps > WhatsApp > Notifications. On most phones, you will have the option to:
- Block all notifications if you wish for no notifications and not even the WhatsApp icon to appear on your phone's status bar.
- Show silent notifications if you wish for notifications to have no sound, vibration or peeking. Peeking is an Android feature that allows notifications to briefly show on the top part of your screen while you're doing something else.
- Hide sensitive content from showing in the notification preview on the lock screen.
You can also navigate to your phone's Settings app > Sound to adjust notifications volume.
WhatsApp Notification Settings
Open WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Notifications. Here you can set notifications for messages, groups, and calls by choosing:
- Notifications tone.
- Vibration length.
- Whether to show popup notifications. This is a WhatsApp feature that allows notifications to show in the middle of your screen.
- Notifications light color (for applicable phones only).
- Open an individual or a group chat.
- Tap the name of the individual or group.
- Tap Custom notifications > check Use custom notifications.
Here you can choose notifications tone, vibration, popup and light (for applicable phones only).
- Tap and hold the individual or group chat in the Chats screen.
- Tap the Mute icon in the top right corner.
- Optionally, uncheck Show notifications to stop notifications from being shown in your notification drawer.