You can delete messages, individual chats, group chats, or your entire chat history by following these steps.
To delete one or more messages from a chat
- Open WhatsApp and go to the chat containing the message you wish to delete.
- Tap and hold the message. Optionally, tap more messages to delete multiple messages at once.
- Tap the Trash can icon on top of the chat screen > Delete.
To delete an individual chat
- In the Chats list, tap and hold the individual chat you wish to delete.
- Tap the Trash can icon > Delete.
To delete a group chat
- In the Chats list, tap and hold the group chat you wish to delete.
- Tap the Menu Button > Exit group > Exit.
- Tap and hold the group chat again and tap the Trash can icon > Delete.
Note: If you exit a group, you will be removed from the group but will still see it in your Chats list, and you will be able to read its chat history. When you delete the group, however, you will no longer see it in your Chats list.
To delete or clear all chats at once
- Open WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Chats > Chat history.
- Here you have the option to Clear all chats or Delete all chats.
- Clear all chats will delete all messages inside your chats. All chats will still be visible in your Chats list.
- Delete all chats will delete all messages inside your chats. Individual chats will also be deleted from your Chats list. Group chats will still be visible on your Chats list, and you will still be part of them.
Learn how to delete messages or chats on: iPhone | Windows Phone | Nokia S40 | BlackBerry | BlackBerry 10