How to stop saving WhatsApp media to your phone's gallery
When you download a media file, it'll automatically be saved to your phone's gallery. The Media visibility option is turned on by default. This feature only affects new media that's downloaded once the feature has been turned on or off and doesn’t apply to old media.
To stop media from all your individual chats and groups from being saved
- Open WhatsApp.
- Tap More options > Settings > Chats.
- Turn off Media visibility.
To stop media from a particular individual chat or group from being saved
- Open an individual chat or group.
- Tap More options > View contact or Group info.
- Alternatively, tap the contact's name or group subject.
- Tap Media visibility > No > OK.
To create a .nomedia file
Alternatively, you can create a .nomedia file in the WhatsApp images folder. Please note this will hide all your WhatsApp photos from your phone's gallery.
- Download a file explorer from the Google Play Store.
- In the file explorer, go to Images/WhatsApp Images/.
- Create a file named .nomedia, including the period.
If you want to view your photos in your phone's gallery later, simply delete the .nomedia file.