About Google Drive backups
The easiest way to transfer your WhatsApp data to a new phone is by using Google Drive. We recommend connecting your phone to Wi-Fi prior to backing up your chats to Google Drive, as backup files can vary in size and consume mobile data, causing additional charges.
- WhatsApp backups no longer count against your Google Drive storage quota.
- WhatsApp backups are tied to the phone number and Google account they were created on.
- WhatsApp backups that haven't been updated in more than one year are automatically removed from Google Drive. To avoid the loss of any backups, we recommend backing up your WhatsApp data.
- The first backup might take a while to complete. Please leave your phone connected to a power source.
- Every time you create a Google Drive backup using the same Google account, the previous backup will be overwritten. There's no way to restore an older Google Drive backup.
- Media and messages you back up aren't protected by WhatsApp end-to-end encryption while in Google Drive.