How to make a group voice call
Group calling allows up to 256 people to join a WhatsApp group voice call.
Voice calling uses your phone’s internet connection rather than your mobile plan’s minutes. Data charges may apply.
Receive a group call
When you receive a group voice call, the incoming group voice call screen will show the people on the call.
The first contact listed will be the person that added you. Group voice call history will appear in the Calls tab.
You can tap the call history to view the people from the call. You can also join missed calls if they’re still ongoing.
Make a group voice call
Make a group voice call from a group chat
- Open the group chat you want to voice call.
- If your group chat has 33 or more people, tap Voice chat. Then tap Start voice chat.
- If your group chat has 32 or fewer people, tap . Then, tap Call group.
Note: Only group members can participate in group calls.
Make a group voice call from an individual chat
- Open the individual chat with one of the contacts you want to voice call.
- Tap .
- Once the contact accepts the call, tap > Add person.
- Find another contact you want to add to the call, then tap Add.
- Tap Add person if you want to add more contacts.
Join a group voice call
Join an incoming group voice call
- You’ll receive a notification when someone invites you to join a group voice call.
- If you can’t join, tap Ignore. To open the call info screen, tap the incoming call notification.
- From the call info screen, you can preview the people on the call and other invitees.
- Tap Join to join the call.
- While on the call, tap to open the call info screen.
- Tap Add person to add more contacts to the call.
- Tap Ring to send a notification to people who’ve already been invited.
Join a missed group voice call
- Open WhatsApp, then tap the Calls tab.
- If the call was started from a group chat, you can join by opening that chat and tapping Join.
- If the call is ongoing, tap the call you’d like to join. This will open the call info screen.
- From the call menu, tap Join.
Mute someone else
You can mute other people in a group call. To do so, tap and hold on the person’s name. Then press Mute.
The person can unmute themselves at any time by tapping the microphone. You can message a person directly on a group call by tapping and holding their tile.
Group voice calling tips:
- Make sure you’re on the latest version of WhatsApp. If your call isn't going through, it's possible the other person is on an older operating system or WhatsApp version.
- You can’t switch a group voice call to a video call.
- You can only mute someone three times.
- To save data, make and answer calls when connected to Wi-Fi. You can also turn Use Less Data for Calls on or off in WhatsApp Settings > Storage and data.
- You can't remove a contact during a group voice call. The contact would need to hang up their phone to disconnect from the call.
- It’s possible to be in a group voice call with someone you've blocked. But you can't add someone you've blocked or who has blocked you to the call. Ignore or decline the call if you don’t want to connect with a blocked contact.
- You can’t access emergency service numbers through WhatsApp, such as 911 in the United States.
- Voice message transcripts aren’t available during group voice calls.
- How to make a voice call