About minimum age to use WhatsApp
If you live in a country in the European Economic Area (which includes the European Union), and any other included country or territory (collectively referred to as the European Region), you must be at least 16 years old (or such greater age required in your country) to register for and use WhatsApp.
If you live in any other country except those in the European Region, you must be at least 13 years old (or such greater age required in your country) to register for and use WhatsApp.
Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.
- Creating an account with false information is a violation of our Terms.
- Registering an account on behalf of someone who is underage is also a violation of our Terms.
Reporting an underage child
If your underage child created a WhatsApp account, you can show them how to delete their account. You can learn how to delete an account in our Help Center.
If you'd like to report an account belonging to someone underage, please send us an email. In your email, please provide the following documentation and redact or hide any unrelated personal information:
- Proof of ownership of the WhatsApp number (e.g., copy of government-issued identification card and phone bill with the same name)
- Proof of parental authority (e.g., copy of birth or adoption certificate for the underage child)
- Proof of child's date of birth (e.g., copy of birth or adoption certificate for the underage child)
We'll promptly disable the WhatsApp account if it's reasonably verifiable that the account belongs to the underage child. You won't receive confirmation of this action. Our ability to review and take appropriate action on a report significantly improves with the completeness of the information requested above.
If the reported child’s account isn't reasonably verifiable as belonging to an underage user, then we may not be able to take action on the account. In this case, if you're not the parent of this child, then we strongly recommend that you encourage a parent to contact us using the instructions above.