How to make a group video call
Group calling allows people to video call each other using WhatsApp.
When you receive a group video call, the WhatsApp group video call screen will show the people on the call. The first contact listed will be the person that added you.
You can also join missed calls if they’re still ongoing.
Make a group video call
Make a group video call from a group chat
- Open the WhatsApp group chat you want to video call.
- If your group chat has 32 or fewer people, tap and confirm your decision.
Note: If there are more than 32 people, tap Group info. Tap Voice chat, then Start voice chat.
Make a group video call from an individual chat
- Open the WhatsApp chat with one of the contacts you want to video call.
- Tap .
- Once the contact accepts the call, tap > Add Person.
- Find another contact you want to add to the call, then tap Add.
- Tap to add more contacts.
Join a group video call
Join an incoming group video call
- You’ll receive a notification when someone invites you to join a group video call.
- Tap the notification to open the call info screen.
- From this screen, you can preview the people on the call and other invitees.
- Tap Join to join the call.
- While on the call, tap to open the call info screen.
- Tap Add Person to add more contacts to the call.
- Tap Ring to send a notification to people who’ve already been invited.
Join a missed group video call through the Calls tab
- If the call is ongoing, tap the call you'd like to join. This will open the call info screen.
- From the call menu, tap Join.
Join missed group video call through a group chat
If the call was started from a group chat, you can join by opening that chat and tapping Join.
Mute someone else
You can mute other people in a group call. To do so, tap and hold on the person’s name. Then press Mute.
The person can unmute themselves at any time by tapping the microphone. You can message a person directly on a group call by tapping and holding their tile.
Note: You can only mute someone three times.
Increase video size
On a group video call, you can increase the video size for a person you want to focus on.
To make a person’s video bigger, tap and hold the person’s video view.
To dismiss, swipe down on the maximized video view.
- Only 32 people can be active on a video call at one time.
- Make sure you and your contacts have strong internet connections when placing or receiving group video calls. The quality of the video call depends on the contact with the weakest connection.
- During a group video call, you can turn your video off by tapping .
- You can't remove a contact during a group video call. The contact would need to disconnect from the call.
- You can be in a group video call with someone you've blocked. However, you can't add a contact that you've blocked to the call or a contact that has blocked you.