How to make a group video call
Group calling allows people to video call each other using WhatsApp. When you receive a group video call, the WhatsApp group video call screen will show the people on the call, and the first contact listed will be the person that added you. You can also join missed calls if they’re still ongoing.
Make a group video call
Make a group video call from a group chat
- Open the WhatsApp group chat you want to video call.
- If your group chat has 32 or fewer people, tap and confirm your decision.
Note: If there are more than 32 people, tap
and select up to 32 people to join your video call. Then tap
Make a group video call from the Calls tab
- Open WhatsApp > Calls.
- Tap > New group call.
- Find the contacts you want to add to the call, then tap .
Make a group video call from an individual chat
- Open the WhatsApp chat with one of the contacts you want to video call.
- Tap .
- Once the contact accepts the call, tap > Add person.
- Find another contact you want to add to the call, then tap ADD.
- Tap Add person if you want to add more contacts.
Schedule a group voice or video call
- Open the WhatsApp group chat for which you want to schedule a video call.
- Tap or> Schedule call. Note: You can schedule group calls for up to 32 people.
- Fill out the details for title, date, and time of the call.
- Tap Send. A notification will automatically be sent to the group chat.
Note: Scheduling group calls can only be done from the group chat.
Join a group video call
Join an incoming group video call
- You’ll receive a notification when someone invites you to join a group video call.
- To open the call info screen, tap Join.
Note: If you aren't ready to join yet, tap Ignore.
- From the call menu, you can preview the people on the call and other invitees.
- Tap Join to join the call.
- While on the call, tap to open the call info screen.
- Tap Add person to add more contacts to the call.
- Tap RING to send a notification to people who’ve already been invited.
Join a missed group video call through the Calls tab
- If the call is ongoing, tap the call you’d like to join. This will open the call info screen.
- From the call menu, tap Join.
Join a missed group video call through a group chat
If the call was started from a group chat, you can join by opening that chat and tapping Join.
Mute someone else
You can mute other people in a group call. To do so, tap and hold on the person’s name. Then press Mute. The person can unmute themself at any time by tapping the microphone icon. You can message a person directly on a group call by tapping and holding their tile.
- Only 32 people can be active on a video call at one time.
- Make sure you and your contacts have strong internet connections when placing or receiving group video calls. The quality of the video call will depend on the contact with the weakest connection.
- During a group video call, you can turn your video off by tapping .
- You can't remove a contact during a group video call. The contact would need to hang up their phone to disconnect from the call.
- You can be in a group video call with someone you've blocked. However, you can't add a contact that you've blocked to the call or a contact that has blocked you.
- Video calling is only available on Android phones running 4.1 or newer.