How to mute or unmute individual or group chat notifications
Web and Desktop
You can mute individual or group chat notifications for a specified period of time. You'll still receive messages, but your device won't vibrate or make noise to notify you.
Mute notifications for individual or group chats
- Open an individual or group chat.
- Tap the name of the individual or group chat.
- Tap Mute, then select the length of time you’d like to mute notifications for.
Tap Muted > Unmute on a chat that has been muted to unmute notifications for that chat.
Note: When you mute message notifications for a chat, your device won’t alert you of incoming notifications. However, it’s important to remember:
- Contacts aren't notified that you’ve muted the chat.
- If you’ve enabled read receipts, contacts will still receive read receipts when you read their messages.
- You’ll still have the unread message count next to the chat.
Mute WhatsApp notifications on your device
- Tap iPhone Settings > Notifications.
- Under NOTIFICATION STYLE, tap WhatsApp and turn on or off Allow Notifications.
Note: If you disable or silence WhatsApp notifications from device settings, updates made to notification settings in WhatsApp won’t override them. However, if you enable custom notifications for a chat in WhatsApp, a new notification category will be added in your device settings, with notifications enabled for that custom setting.
How to manage your notifications