How to verify your phone number
WhatsApp requires an active phone number to create an account. If you’re having issues verifying, please verify the following:
- You have the latest version of WhatsApp installed from the App Store.
- You have entered your full international phone number, including the country code (or select your country from the country list).
- An example of a US phone number is: + 1 408 XXX-XXXX.
- Omit any leading zeros (0s) or exit codes from your number.
- Your phone has full Internet access with a strong signal. Try opening a web page to make sure.
- Your phone can receive international SMS messages.
- You’re not using an unsupported device such as an iPod touch or iPad.
- Your device isn’t jailbroken.
- Make sure you’re using a supported phone number. Unsupported phone numbers can’t be registered on WhatsApp and include:
- Landlines (Note: Landlines are only accepted on the WhatsApp Business app)
- Toll-free numbers
- Paid premium numbers
- Universal access numbers (UAN)
- Personal numbers
After you enter your phone number, please wait for an SMS to be delivered to your phone. The SMS will contain a 6-digit verification code, which you can enter on the verification screen in WhatsApp. The verification code is unique and changes each time you verify a new phone number or device. Please don’t guess the verification code as you may be locked out for a period of time.
Note: If you have iCloud Keychain enabled and have verified this number before, you may be automatically verified without receiving a new SMS code.
If you don’t receive your code via SMS, our automated system can call you with your code. Please wait for the five minute timer to finish counting down and do not edit your number during this time. After the five minutes, tap Call Me.
Note: Depending on your carrier, you might receive charges for SMS and phone calls.
If you have followed these steps and can’t receive a code, please do the following:
- Uninstall WhatsApp from your iPhone.
- Reboot your iPhone > turn your iPhone off and then turn it back on.
- Download the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.