How to register your phone number
WhatsApp requires an active phone number to create an account. If you’re having issues registering, please check the following:
- You have the latest version of WhatsApp installed from the App Store.
- You have entered your full international phone number, including the country code.
Alternatively, you can select your country from the country list.
- An example of a US phone number is: + 1 408 XXX-XXXX.
- Remove any leading zeros (0s) or exit codes from your number.
- Your phone has full Internet access with a strong signal. Try opening a web page to make sure.
- Your phone can receive international SMS messages.
- You’re not using an unsupported device such as an iPod touch or iPad.
- Your device isn’t jailbroken.
- Make sure you’re using a supported phone number. Unsupported phone numbers which can’t be registered on WhatsApp include:
- Landlines. Note: Landlines are only supported on the WhatsApp Business app.
- Toll-free numbers
- Paid premium numbers
- Universal access numbers (UAN)
- Personal numbers
After you enter your phone number, you'll receive a 6-digit registration code via SMS. Enter this code to complete registration.
- Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for SMS and phone calls.
- The registration code is unique and changes each time you register a new phone number or device.
- Don't guess the code - you may be locked out for a period of time if you enter the wrong one.
- If iCloud Keychain is enabled and your number was previously confirmed, you might be registered automatically without receiving the code.
If you didn't receive the 6-digit code by SMS
- Wait for the five-minute timer to finish counting down.
- Don't edit your number during this time.
- If the timer runs out before you receive the code, tap Call Me.
- When you answer the call, an automated voice will announce the 6-digit code.
Note: For security reasons, we can't send your code via email or any other method.
If you’re still experiencing issues registering your phone number, try the following:
- Turn off your phone, wait 30 seconds, and turn it back on.
- Delete and reinstall the latest version of WhatsApp.
- Check your reception by sending an SMS message from any phone to your phone number. Make sure you’re sending it to the same phone number you entered in WhatsApp, including the country code.