How to register your phone number
WhatsApp requires an active phone number to create an account. We send you a registration code to confirm that you own the phone number you want to use on WhatsApp.
How to register
You can register one of three ways:
- With a missed call.
- With a voice call.
- With an SMS.
- Make sure you’re using the latest version of WhatsApp installed on your phone.
- You must have a working internet connection through mobile data or Wi-Fi. If you're roaming or have a bad connection, registration might not work. Try opening a web page to make sure.
- Your phone must be able to receive international SMS messages.
- Don’t use an unsupported device such as an iPod touch or iPad.
- Your device isn’t jailbroken.
- Make sure you’re using a supported phone number. Unsupported phone numbers which can’t be registered on WhatsApp include:
- Landlines. Note: Landlines are only supported on the WhatsApp Business app.
- Toll-free numbers
- Paid premium numbers
- Universal access numbers (UAN)
To register with an SMS
- Enter your full international phone number, including the country code.
- Remove any leading zeros (0s) or exit codes from your number.
- Alternatively, you can select your country from the country list.
- You'll receive a 6-digit registration code via SMS. Enter this code to complete registration.
- Note: WhatsApp usually sends the verification code via SMS or automated voice call from a phone number with the country code for the country you are registering from.
- Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for SMS and phone calls.
- The registration code is unique and changes each time you register a new phone number or device.
- Don't guess the code - you might be locked out for a period of time if you enter the wrong one.
- If iCloud Keychain is enabled and your number was previously confirmed, you might be registered automatically without receiving the code.
- Your 6-digit code is very important. Keep it secure, and don’t share it with anyone.
To register with a phone call
You can also register for WhatsApp by receiving a missed call or voice call if you’d prefer not to register with an SMS.