How to check read receipts
Check marks will appear next to each message you send. Here's what each one means:
- The message was successfully sent.
- The message was successfully delivered to the recipient's phone or any of their linked devices.
- The recipient has read your message.
- The second check mark appears when a message is delivered to any of the recipient's linked devices, even if their phone is off.
- In a group chat, the second check mark appears when everyone has received your message. Two blue check marks appear when everyone has read your message.
- Read receipts reset when you edit a message, so you can see who viewed your updates.
- Seeing a clock means the message is not yet sent or delivered. This could be due to connectivity issues.
- It isn’t possible to change the color of the check marks or clock.
Message info screen
The message info screen displays details of when your sent message was delivered, read, or played by the recipient.
Note: When a member leaves a group, the Message info screen will still show the original information with all members. This includes the member who left the group.
To see the message info screen:
- Open an individual or group chat.
- Tap and hold your sent message.
- Tap . Alternatively, you might have to tap More options > Info.
The message info screen shows:
- Your message was delivered to your recipient's phone or linked devices, but the recipient hasn't seen it.
Read or Seen:
- The recipient has read your message or seen your picture, audio file or video.
- The recipient has seen your voice message, but hasn't played it.
- The recipient has played your voice message.
Missing read receipts
If you don't see two blue check marks, a blue microphone, or Opened next to your sent message or voice message:
- You or your recipient might have disabled read receipts in the privacy settings.
- The recipient might have blocked you.
- The recipient might not have opened your conversation.
- You or the recipient might be experiencing connection issues.
- When a person gets your message for the first time, a read receipt might not be sent to you.
- The date and time settings are incorrect on your phone or the recipient's phone.
Turn off read receipts
To turn off your read receipts, tap > Settings > Privacy and turn off Read receipts.
- If you turn read receipts off, you might not be able to see who views your status. Others may also not be able to see when you view their status.
- This won't disable the read receipts for group chats or play receipts for voice messages. There's no way to turn those settings off.
- If you turn off read receipts, you won’t be able to see read receipts from others.