How to check read receipts
Check marks will appear next to each message you send. Here's what each one indicates:
- The message was successfully sent.
- The message was successfully delivered to the recipient's phone or any of their linked devices.
- The recipient has read your message.
- The second check mark appears when a message is delivered to any of the recipient's linked devices, even if their phone is off.
- In a group chat, the second check mark appears when all participants have received your message. Two blue check marks appear when all participants have read your message.
- Read receipts reset when you edit a message, so you can see who viewed your updates.
Message info screen
The message info screen displays details of when your sent message was delivered, read, or played by the recipient.
Note: When a participant leaves a group, the Message info screen will still show the original information with all participants, including the participant who left the group.
To see the message info screen:
- Open an individual or group chat.
- Tap and hold your sent message.
- Tap . Alternatively, you might have to tap More options> Info.
The message info screen shows:
- Your message was delivered to your recipient's phone or linked devices, but the recipient hasn't seen it.
Read or Seen:
- The recipient has read your message or seen your picture, audio file or video.
- The recipient has seen your voice message, but hasn't played it.
- The recipient has played your voice message.
Missing read receipts
If you don't see two blue check marks, a blue microphone, or “Opened” label next to your sent message or voice message:
- You or your recipient might have disabled read receipts in the privacy settings.
- The recipient might have blocked you.
- The recipient might not have opened your conversation.
- You or the recipient might be experiencing connection issues.
Turn off read receipts
To turn off your read receipts, tap More options
> Settings > Privacy and turn off Read receipts.
Note: This won't disable the read receipts for group chats or play receipts for voice messages. There's no way to turn those settings off.