How to send voice messages
Web and Desktop
WhatsApp voice messaging allows you to instantly communicate with contacts and groups. You can use it to deliver important and time-sensitive information. All voice messages are downloaded automatically.
You can also record, preview, and re-record status updates before sharing them with selected contacts. Your recipients can listen to your update and view an active visualization of it while the audio plays.
Send a voice message
- Open the chat you’d like to send a voice message to.
- Press and hold next to the text field, then start speaking. You can also swipe up for hands-free recording. Note: If you seeinstead, tap the icon to switch to.
- When finished, remove your finger from to automatically send your message. Or, if you’re recording hands-free, tapto pause recording and preview a draft of your message before sending. Tapto continue recording.
- If you press and hold to record your voice message, you can slide left to cancel it.
- If the beginning of your message isn't recorded, you may need to wait a second before speaking.
On voice messages you've sent:
- indicates that the message hasn't been played by all recipients, but may have been played by some.
- indicates that all recipients have played the message.
Record and send a voice status update
You can record and share up to 30-second voice updates.
- Open the Status tab.
- Tap .
- Press and hold next to the text field, then start speaking.
- When you’ve finished, remove your finger from .
- Select the contact or group chat you want to share your update with.
- Tap to send your voice status.
Note: If the beginning of your message isn't recorded, you may need to wait a second before speaking.