How to use status
Status lets you share text, photo, video, and GIF updates that disappear after 24 hours. You can send and receive status updates with people when you both have each other saved as contacts.
You can find status updates in the Updates tab (formerly Status) along with WhatsApp Channels.
If you choose to follow channels, status updates will appear in a row at the top of the Status section:
- Swipe through to see recent status updates from your contacts. If someone has shared a status you haven't seen yet, you'll see a green ring around their profile picture.
- You can see muted status updates by scrolling all the way to the right in the Status section or by tapping More options > Muted updates.
Create and send a status update
From the Updates tab, you can quickly share a photo, video, or gif status by tapping your profile picture.
- Tap the Updates tab.
- Tap to compose a written status update.
- to add emoji or GIfs.
- T to pick a font.
- to pick a background color.
- and hold to record a voice status update.
- Tap to take or record a photo, video, or GIF, or choose media from the picker.
- You can also edit or add a caption to your photo, video, or GIF, as explained in this article. Note: WhatsApp supports 3GP and mpeg4 video formats.
- to add a sticker, location, or time.
- Select the audience for a status by tapping your default audience. Then, select your status contacts and tap Done.
- Tap to send your status.
Alternatively, you can create and send a picture, video, or GIF status from the Chats tab by tapping
View or reply to status
Tap the contact to view their status. If someone has shared a status you haven't seen yet, you'll see a green ring around their profile picture. To respond to a contact's status, tap Reply while viewing.
To see already viewed status updates:
- If you follow channels, after you’ve viewed someone’s status, it’ll move to the end of the row and have a gray circle around it.
- If you don’t follow channels, you can see viewed statuses in the “Viewed updates” drop down menu.
When you see someone's status they'll be able to tell that you’ve seen it unless you or your contact has disabled their read receipts.
- You can’t share status updates from linked devices, including when using WhatsApp web or desktop. Use your primary phone to make status updates. Learn more about linked devices.
- To see status updates, you’ll need at least 1GB of storage available on your device. If you’re having trouble viewing status updates, try clearing your phone storage.