How to use status
Web and Desktop
Status lets you share text, photo, video, and GIF updates that disappear after 24 hours. You can send and receive status updates with people when you both have each other saved as contacts.
Create and send a status update
To quickly share a photo, video, or gif status:
- Click above the chat list to open the status tab.
- Click to create a status. You can create a text or photo or video update.
- Click Text to compose a written status update.
- Click to add emojis.
- Click to pick a font.
- Click to pick a background color.
- Click Photos & Videos to share media from your device.
- You can also edit or add a caption to your photo. Note: WhatsApp supports 3GP and mpeg4 video formats.
- Click to add a sticker, location, or time.
- Select the audience for a status by clicking your default audience. Then, select your status contacts and click Done.
- Click to send your status.
View or reply to status
Click the contact to view their status. If someone has shared a status you haven't seen yet, you'll see a green ring around their profile picture. To respond to a contact's status, click Reply while viewing.
You can see viewed statuses in the VIEWED section on the status tab.
When you see someone's status they'll be able to tell that you’ve seen it unless you or your contact has disabled their read receipts.