How to restore your chat history
To restore your chat history, you’ll need to confirm that a backup already exists. If you don’t have a backup, please follow the steps below to create one on your Google Drive.
- Tap> Settings > Chats > Chat backup.
- Under Google Drive settings, tap Google Account and choose the Google Account that you want your chats backed up to.
- Tap Allow to enable WhatsApp to access your selected Google Account.
- Tap Back up to Google Drive
- You can enable automatic chat history backups to Google Drive on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
- You can manually backup to Google Drive by selecting "Only when I tap Back up”.
- Tap Back up.
Note: Make sure you’re not logged into a device that has no WhatsApp data before turning backups on. This will cause any existing backups to be replaced with an empty one.
Restore from a Google Drive backup
To successfully restore a Google Drive backup, use the same phone number and Google account used to create it. To maintain a copy of your chat history on Google Drive, it’s recommended to enable the automatic backup feature for your chats and select its frequency as daily, weekly, or monthly. If you install WhatsApp without a prior Google Drive backup, WhatsApp will automatically restore chats stored in your phone’s WhatsApp database, if available.
To restore your backup:
- Install and open WhatsApp, then verify your number.
- Tap RESTORE when prompted to restore your chats and media from Google Drive.
- After the restoration has completed, tap NEXT. Your chats will be displayed once initialization is complete. WhatsApp will continue restoring your media files after your chats are restored.