How to restore chats from your phone's WhatsApp database
WhatsApp automatically stores your chats daily to your phone’s WhatsApp database. This includes a complete chat history in order to recover them in the event of corruption. You can use your Google Account to backup your entire chat and media history.
Note: You can only restore chats stored in your phone’s WhatsApp database if you’re using Android OS 9 or below.
To restore chats stored in your phone’s WhatsApp database:
- Download a file manager app if your phone doesn’t already have one.
- In the file manager app, navigate to your phone’s WhatsApp database or sdcard > WhatsApp > Databases. If your data isn't stored on the SD card, you might see "internal storage" or "main storage" instead.
- Rename the backup file you want to restore from
- It's possible that an earlier backup might be on an earlier protocol, such as crypt12. Don't change the number of the crypt extension.
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
- Tap RESTORE when prompted.
Note: To restore chats stored on your phone’s WhatsApp database, you'll need a computer, file explorer, available storage or SD Card to transfer the files from your old phone to your new phone.