Can’t complete or restore Google Account backup
If your backup gets stuck while uploading or downloading, try:
- Logging out and back into your Google Account.
- Turning your Wi-Fi off and on, or using mobile data.
- Force stopping or closing WhatsApp.
- Reducing the size of your backup. Learn how here.
- Checking that your device’s battery is fully charged or plugged into a power source.
- Turning off your non-primary SIM if you’re using a dual SIM.
If you receive any of the following error messages:
- ‘This account already exists on your device’
- 'Unable to access your account at this time'
- 'Unable to back up messages'
- Or your listed Google Account is grayed out when trying to add your Google Account to your WhatsApp
Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Go to your device settings.
- Tap Users and Accounts (or Accounts depending on your device).
- Select your Google Account.
- Tap Account Sync > Menu > Sync. Allow sync to finish so that your data is up-to-date.
- Go back to the previous screen and tap Remove Account.
- Open WhatsApp to add the previously removed account.
- Tap More options > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Account.
If these steps don’t solve the issue, check your permission settings for WhatsApp and Google Drive.
Note: If your progress bar shows 100% complete and the notification doesn’t go away, there may still be background processes completing, including media upload or download. Please wait a few hours for the notification to go away.