Protecting yourself from scams
What’s a scam?
A scam is an illegal plan for making money by tricking people into revealing their personal or financial information. Scams can happen anywhere and affect anyone, so we want to help you recognize and protect yourself from them.
What do scams look like?
Scams aren’t always obvious, but here are signs that can help you spot them:
- The first message can be just “Hi” or "Hi [your name or a different name]". Then the person starts chatting with you and gets you to trust them before asking you to share personal information, or send money.
- The scammer pretends they're someone you know who lost their phone, or is traveling. If you’re not sure if it’s true, ask them a question only someone you know would have the answer to. You could also do a voice or video call with them to confirm their identity.
- The message is often about the lottery, gambling, a job, an investment, or a loan. Remember if it seems too good to be true, it probably is:
- Job: “Want to earn money working from home on your mobile? Hurry and deposit $ today to earn 10x return”
- Investment: “Double your money quickly by investing in stocks and crypto through this app”
- Loan: “I give loans for just 3% per year, you can repay from 3 to 25 years. repayments depends on you, no real application required”
How to protect yourself from scams:
1. Pause and think
Look out for suspicious behavior:
- Are they using an unknown number?
- Are they rushing you?
- Are they being threatening or asking you to trust them?
- Are they asking you to transfer money or share a password, pin, or personal information?
2. Stop the conversation
Hang up a call or don’t reply to messages. Do not do what the person is asking of you, like transferring money.
3. Block and report
Block the user to stop them from contacting you, and let WhatsApp know by reporting them.
4. Update your privacy and security settings
Adjust your privacy settings to control who sees your information and enable two-step verification to better secure your account.
Need more help?