How to block and report contacts
You can stop receiving messages and calls from certain contacts by blocking them. You can also report them if you think they are sending problematic content or spam.
If you feel you or anyone else is in immediate danger, please contact your local emergency services.
Block a contact
- Press Options > Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked > Add new...
- Search for or select the contact you want to block.
- Press BLOCK.
Here are a couple of alternative options for blocking a contact:
- Select the chat with the contact in your chats list, then press Options > View contact > Block > Block.
- Open a chat with the contact, then press Options > View contact > Block > Block.
Block an unknown phone number
To block an unknown phone number, you have a couple options:
- Select the chat with the unknown phone number in your chats list, then press Options > View contact > Block > Block.
- Open the chat with the unknown phone number, then press Options > View contact > Block > Block.
- Blocked contacts will no longer be able to call you or send you messages.
- Your last seen, online, and any changes made to your profile photo will no longer be visible to contacts you've blocked.
- Blocking a contact won't remove them from your contacts list, nor will it remove you from the list on the contact's phone. To delete a contact, you must delete the contact from your phone's address book.
- If you're concerned whether a blocked contact will know you're blocking them, please read this article.
Unblock a contact
- Press Options > Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked.
- Select the contact you want to unblock.
- Press UNBLOCK.
Here are a couple of alternative options for unblocking a contact:
- Select the chat with the contact in your chats list, then press Options > View contact > Unblock.
- Open a chat with the contact, then press Options > View contact > Unblock.
- If you unblock a contact, you won't receive any messages or calls the contact sent you during the time they were blocked.
- If you unblock a contact or phone number that wasn't previously saved in your phone’s address book, you won't be able to restore that contact or phone number to your phone.
Report a contact
- Open the chat with the user you wish to report.
- Press Options and select View contact.
- Press Report and block or Only report.
Note: WhatsApp receives the last five messages sent to you by the reported user or group, and they won’t be notified. WhatsApp also receives the reported group or user ID, information on when the message was sent, and the type of message sent (image, video, text, etc.).
Report a view once photo or video
- Open the view once photo or video.
- Press Options in the bottom corner.
- Press Report.
To learn more about view once, read this article.