About WhatsApp for Wear OS
You can download WhatsApp for Wear OS from the Google Play Store.
If your smartwatch and phone are linked, you’ll see an option to download WhatsApp to your smartwatch.
How do I link my phone?
Make sure your Android phone is next to you. For the best experience, connect to Wi-Fi.
You’ll only be able to link WhatsApp on Wear OS with the same phone number your phone is using.
WhatsApp is compatible with Wear OS version 3.0 and upward.
On your watch
- Open WhatsApp on your Wear OS smartwatch.
- You’ll see an eight character code.
- Follow the instructions to continue on the phone.
- Unlock your phone.
- WhatsApp should open automatically. You’ll see a prompt asking you to confirm if you’re trying to pair a new watch. If this doesn’t happen, check your notifications.
- Enter the same eight character code you see on your smartwatch.
- Tap Confirm.
On your phone
- You can’t link from an iPhone.
- You won’t be able to link your WhatsApp Business account.
- With the above device linking experience, you’ll have the same controls and protections available as with linking a device by scanning a QR code. You’ll still need to use biometric authentication before linking if you’ve enabled this feature.
I’ve entered the wrong code
You’ll have three attempts to enter the code correctly.
If you enter it wrong three times, a new code will be generated on your smartwatch and you can try again.
There’s a delay
It’s normal for linking your phone to your watch to take longer if you have lots of contacts and recent messages.
Why am I not getting notifications on Wear OS?
If you don’t link your phone after installing WhatsApp on your smartwatch, your watch won’t receive notifications.
If you’ve linked your device and are still having issues with notifications, please follow these troubleshooting steps.
Quick access to WhatsApp on Wear OS
You can use Tiles and Complications on Wear OS for quick access to WhatsApp on your smartwatch. Find out how in these Tiles and Complications articles on the Wear OS Help Center.
What features are on WhatsApp for Wear OS?
Linked devices may not have all the features found on WhatsApp for your phone, but here are some of the features available in beta:
- Read chats and reply using voice or text.
- Mute a chat.
- Verify end to end encryption.
- View images.
- Play back voice messages.
- Send outgoing reactions
- Answer and decline phone calls.*
* this feature is already available on Wear OS smartwatches paired to phones with WhatsApp installed.
Note: This list isn’t definitive.