How to restore your chat history from an old phone number
You can restore the chat history that's associated with your old phone number if you still have that phone and SIM. WhatsApp backups are always tied to the phone number registered to the account that created the backup.
To restore your chat history from an old phone number:
- Change your old number to your new number. Learn how here. This will connect your WhatsApp account to the new number.
- On your old phone, create a new Google Account or iCloud backup. This backup will be connected to your new number.
- Install WhatsApp on your new phone and register your new number.
- Restore your Google Account or iCloud backup.
- If you don’t have access to your old WhatsApp account, it's not possible to move your account and backup to a new number.
- Unfortunately, we can't help restore your backup because your chat history isn’t stored on our servers.