How to make a voice call
Voice calling lets you call your contacts using WhatsApp for free, even if they’re in another country. Voice calling uses your phone’s internet connection rather than your mobile plan’s minutes. Data charges may apply.
Make a voice call
- Open the individual chat with the contact you want to voice call.
Alternatively, open WhatsApp, then tap the CALLS tab > New call
. Find the contact you want to voice call, then tap Voice call
Receive a voice call
If your phone is locked, you'll see an incoming WhatsApp voice call screen when someone voice calls you, where you can:
- Swipe up to acceptto answer the call.
- Swipe up to declineto reject the call.
- Swipe up to replyto decline the call with a quick message.
If your phone is unlocked, you’ll see an Incoming voice call pop-up when someone voice calls you, where you can tap Decline or Answer.
Switch between voice and video calls
Switch from a voice call to a video call
While on the voice call, tap
Video call> SWITCH.
- The contact you're voice calling will see a request to switch to a video call and can accept or decline the switch.
Switch from a video call to a voice call
While on the video call, tap
Video off, which will notify the contact you're video calling.
- Once the contact turns their video off, the call will be switched to a voice call.
- Make sure you and your contacts have strong internet connections when placing or receiving group voice calls. The quality of the voice call will depend on the contact with the weakest connection.
- You can’t access emergency service numbers through WhatsApp such as 911 in the United States. To make emergency calls, you must make alternative communication arrangements.