Can’t see contacts
For the best experience, we recommend allowing WhatsApp to access your contacts.
Enable access to your contacts
- Go to iPhone Settings > Privacy & Security.
- Tap Contacts.
- Make sure WhatsApp is turned on.
If WhatsApp is grayed out, ensure you don't have any restrictions set in
iPhone Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions.
If WhatsApp is still grayed out or missing, you might need to restore your phone. Please visit the Apple Support website for more information on how to back up and restore your information.
If you deny WhatsApp access to your phone's contacts, you'll still be able to:
- Receive messages from other WhatsApp users and groups.
- Change WhatsApp settings.
You won't be able to:
- See any contact names and will only see phone numbers.
- Start new Groups or Broadcast Lists.
If you're unable to see some of your contacts on WhatsApp, try the following:
For international contacts:
- Ensure you've added the correct phone number in full international format.
If the missing contacts are stored in an Exchange account, your account administrator might not be allowing WhatsApp or other apps to access your contacts. You can resolve this by:
- Copying your Exchange contacts into your phone’s address book or iCloud.
- Asking your IT administrator to make WhatsApp a managed app in your iPhone.
- Exchange accounts are likely to be work accounts.