Can’t see contacts
If numbers are shown instead of your contacts’ names or some contacts are missing, there are a few things to check:
Search your contacts
- Go to the Chats tab and scroll down.
- Alternatively, go to the Calls tab and tap +
- Type a contact name or phone number in the search bar.
Reset your contacts
To reset the sync with WhatsApp and your phone’s contacts:
- Go to iPhone Settings > Privacy & Security.
- Tap Contacts.
- Make sure WhatsApp is turned on.
If WhatsApp is grayed out, make sure you don't have any restrictions in your phone's settings. Go to your iPhone Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Contacts and turn WhatsApp on.
If WhatsApp is still grayed out or missing, you might need to restore your phone. Visit the Apple Support website for more information.
If you deny WhatsApp access to your phone's contacts, you can still:
- Receive messages from other WhatsApp users and groups.
- Change WhatsApp settings.
You won't be able to:
- See any contact names and will only see phone numbers.
- Start new Groups or Broadcast Lists.
Missing international or Exchange contacts
If you still can’t see some of your contacts on WhatsApp, try the following:
- For international contacts, make sure you've added the correct phone number in full international format.
- If the missing contacts are stored in an Exchange account, your account administrator might not be allowing WhatsApp or other apps to access your contacts. Try copying your Exchange contacts into your phone’s address book or iCloud, or ask your IT administrator to make WhatsApp a managed app in your iPhone.
Note: Exchange accounts are likely to be work accounts.