Can't send or receive messages
Sometimes messages take a while to send or receive. Having a message in a single check mark state is normal.
There are many reasons why a message might take a while to be delivered or only display a single check mark:
- You or your contact are having connection problems.
- The other person’s phone might be turned off.
- They might be out of the coverage area or roaming.
- They might be out of data on their phone.
- They might have seen a notification, but didn’t launch WhatsApp.
- Their notifications might be slow or disabled.
- They might have blocked you.
Steps to try
Here are some steps to try if your device can’t send or receive messages:
- Update to the latest version of WhatsApp.
- Try updating your phone’s operating system.
- Make sure you’re connected to the internet.
- Restart your device.
- Make sure you’ve completed the verification process for your phone number.
- Make sure you’ve saved your contact’s phone number in full international format on your device.