About status privacy
Your status updates can only be seen by someone if you have their phone number in your phone's address book and they have your phone number in their phone’s address book. You can choose to share your status updates with all your contacts or selected contacts only. By default, your status updates are shared with all your contacts.
Change your status privacy
- Tap Status.
- Android: Tap More options> Status privacy.
- iPhone: Tap Privacy.
- Android: Tap More options
- Select one of the following options:
- My contacts: All your contacts will see your status updates.
- My contacts except…: Only contacts in your phone’s address book, except those you exclude, will see your status updates.
- Only share with…: Only the contacts you select will see your status updates.
- Facebook: All your contacts on WhatsApp, and your Facebook contacts who can see your Facebook stories. Here you’ll have the option to tap Always share to Facebook story to automatically share your status updates on Facebook, or tap Disable status sharing to Facebook to disable status sharing.
- Changes to your privacy settings won’t affect status updates you’ve sent already.
- If you've disabled read receipts, you won't be able to see who's viewed your status updates. If a contact has disabled read receipts, you won't be able to see if they've viewed your status updates.
Sharing status updates to Facebook Stories and other apps
If you share your status update to your Facebook story, your status update will use the existing story privacy settings that you've chosen on Facebook. Learn about information shared when you share your status update to Facebook in this article.
- Learn how to use status on: Android | iPhone
- Learn how to share WhatsApp status updates to other apps in this article.