About status privacy
Your status can only be seen by someone if:
- You have their phone number in your phone's address book.
- They have your phone number in their phone’s address book.
You can choose to share your status with all your contacts or selected contacts only. By default, your status updates are shared with all your contacts.
Change your status privacy
- Tap the Updates tab.
- On the Status header, tap > Status privacy.
- Select one of the following options:
- My contacts: All your contacts will see your status.
- My contacts except…: Only contacts in your phone’s address book, except those you exclude, will see your status.
- Only share with…: Only the contacts you select will see your status.
- Changes to your privacy settings won’t affect status updates you’ve sent already.
- If you've disabled read receipts, you won't be able to see who's viewed your status updates. If a contact has disabled read receipts, you won't be able to see if they've viewed your status.
Share status updates to Facebook Stories and other apps
If you share your status update to your Facebook story, your status update will use the existing story privacy settings that you've chosen on Facebook. Learn about information shared when you share your status update to Facebook in this article.