How to switch accounts on WhatsApp
Note: This feature might not be available in your country yet.
WhatsApp's multiple account feature allows you to have two different accounts to a single device. To register a second account on WhatsApp, you will need to have a separate phone number or a device that takes multiple SIM cards. Once both accounts are registered, you can easily switch between them on the same device.
With WhatsApp, you can have two accounts that offer all the usual features and capabilities. Your active account is the one you're currently logged into, while your idle account is the one you're not currently using. Even when your account isn't being used, you can still get alerts about messages and phone calls. To see the content, just switch to the appropriate account.
For each account, you have the ability to customize your profiles by setting unique pictures, about fields, notification settings, and privacy settings.
Note: This feature is currently only available for Android users.
Creating a second account
To create a second account, follow these steps:
- Tap > Settings > Account > Add Account.
- Select your country from the drop-down list to add your country code. Enter your phone number in international phone number format. Tap Done or Next, then tap Ok to receive your 6-digit registration code through SMS or phone call.
- To complete registration, enter your 6-digit code. Learn more on how to register your phone number on Android.
- In your new profile, enter your name, and then tap Next. You can also add a profile photo and fill in the about field.
To switch between accounts:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Tap > Switch accounts.
- This feature currently supports a maximum of two accounts.
- Users can see activity on idle accounts. You will need to switch accounts in order to see the content.
Respond to notifications on idle accounts
The idle account will receive notifications for new messages and calls. You must switch accounts to access the content.
To answer calls on your idle account, you must switch accounts. To switch accounts, follow these steps:
- When someone calls your idle account, you will get a push notification. You can respond to the notification by selecting Ignore or Switch Accounts.
- If you wish to ignore the call, tap Ignore.
- If you want to switch to your second WhatsApp account, tap Switch Accounts. This will take you directly to the switch accounts loading screen.
- From here, you can choose to Answer, Reply, or Decline the call.
How to remove an account
You can remove an account from your device at any time. Removing an account does not delete the account.
To remove an account:
- Tap > Settings > Account > Remove account.
- Tap Confirm to confirm you want to remove this account from this device.
- If you remove an account, it will only be removed from the device you're currently using.
- If you have linked devices, the account will be removed in 14 days.
- Your WhatsApp groups and channels will remain unaffected.
- You'll lose any messages or data not backed up. Learn more about backing up your data.
To delete an account:
- Tap > Settings > Account > Delete account.
- Enter your country code and phone number, then tap Delete account to confirm.
- If you delete an account the account will be deleted from WhatsApp and all your devices.
- Your message history will be erased.
- You will be removed from all your WhatsApp groups.
- Your Google Account backup will be deleted.
- Any channels you created will be deleted.