How to back up to your Google Account
You can back up your WhatsApp chat history using your Google Account. The cloud storage in your Google Account is provided and managed by Google.
Before you get started, make sure you have:
- A Google Account activated on your device.
- Google Play services installed on your device.
- Enough free space on your device to create the backup.
- Enough free space in your Google Account. You can see how much storage you’re currently using and review storage options here.
- A strong and stable internet connection.
Set up recurring backups
- Tap More options > Settings > Chats.
- Tap Chat backup > Back up to your Google Account.
- Select a backup schedule other than Never or Only when I tap “Back up”.
- Select the Google Account you’d like to back up your chats to.
- If you don't have a Google Account connected, tap Add account when prompted and enter your login information.
- Tap Back up using cellular to select the network you want to use for backups.
Manually back up your chats at any time
- Tap More options > Settings.
- Tap Chats > Chat backup.
- Tap Back up.
- Backup files can vary in size and might use mobile data. Connect your phone to Wi-Fi before backing up your chats to your Google Account to avoid possible mobile data charges.
- If you don’t want to back up chats to your Google Account, you can still transfer your chats between Android devices using WhatsApp chat transfer. Learn how here.