How to create a community
Web and Desktop
Note:Communities on WhatsApp is available in limited countries and may not be available to you yet. Check back to see when communities will be available in your area.
You can create a WhatsApp community with up to 50 groups in addition to the announcement group. You can add up to 5,000 members to the community announcement group.
Create a community
- Click Menu above your chats list in WhatsApp.
- Alternatively, click the New chat icon.
- Enter the community name, description, and profile photo.
- The community name limit is 24 characters.
- Your description should provide members an idea of what your community is about.
- You can add a community icon by tapping the Camera icon. You can choose Take Photo, Choose Photo, or Search Web to add an image. Once set, the icon will appear next to the community in the Chats tab.
- Click the green arrow icon to add existing groups or create a new group.
- To add groups to your community:
- Click Create New Group or Add Existing Group.
- Create New Group: Enter the group subject. This will be the name of the group that all participants will see.
- You can create up to 10 new groups.
- You can add a group icon as well as a short description of the group.
- You can add participants later.
- Add Existing Group: You can choose to add groups you’re currently an admin of to your community. Select which groups to add then click the green arrow icon.
- When finished adding groups to your community, click the green check mark icon.
- You can add up to 50 groups in addition to the announcement group.
- You can add up to 5,000 members to a community announcement group.
- Groups are open for any community member to join.
- A community announcement group will automatically be created for your community. This is a space where community admins can send messages to all community members in the announcement group.
- We are rolling out closed groups and it may not be available to you yet. Please check back to see when closed groups will be available in your area.