About last seen and online
Last seen and online tell you the last time your contacts used WhatsApp, or if they're online.
If a contact is online, they have WhatsApp open in the foreground on their device and are connected to the Internet. However, it doesn't necessarily mean the contact has read your message.
Last seen refers to the last time the contact used WhatsApp. Through our privacy settings, you have the option to control who can see your last seen and online. You may not be able to see someone’s last seen or online unless they have you saved as a contact or have previously messaged you.
You can use settings to control who can view your last seen or online. Find out how.
There are a few reasons why you might not be able to see someone's last seen or online:
- They might have set their privacy settings to hide this information.
- You might have set your privacy settings to not share your last seen. If you don't share your last seen, you can't see other contacts' last seen.
- You might have been blocked.
- You might not have chatted with them before.
- They might not have you saved as a contact.
- You might not have them saved as a contact.
If there’s a problem with someone’s last seen or online this might be because of a temporary connection issue. Log out of WhatsApp and log back in to see if this resolves it.
Note: People online in a chat thread with you can see when you’re typing.