How to change your privacy settings
Web and Desktop
By default, WhatsApp sets your privacy settings to allow:
- Any user to see your profile photo, read receipts and when you’re online.
- Your contacts to see your status updates, about and when you were last seen.
- Any users to add you to groups.
Note: Users you’ve saved as a contact or who you’ve messaged before can see your last seen and online.
Change privacy settings
- Click > Settings > Privacy.
- You can change:
- Who can see your Last Seen and Online
- Who can see your Profile Photo.
- Who can see your About information.
- Who can see your Status updates.
- Whether Read Receipts get sent.
- Who can add you to Groups.
- Which calls get silenced.
- Who can call you.
Alternatively, you can change your privacy settings through privacy checkup. Learn more about privacy checkup in this article.
- If you don't share your last seen or online, you can’t see other users’ last seen or online.
- If you turn off read receipts, you won't be able to see read receipts from other users. Read receipts are always sent for group chats.
- If a contact has turned off read receipts, you can’t see if they’ve viewed your status updates.
- If you select Everyone in settings for last seen or online, only those you’ve called and messaged before, or who you’ve saved as a contact, can see when you’re last seen and online.
About privacy checkup